Benefits of screen time
- Screen use provides a range of opportunities for creativity and learning – 70% of parents strongly agree that using devices is essential for their child’s development
- Screens can be a great tool to allow children to maintain relationships with family and friends.
- Screens can provide much-needed downtime at the end of the school day.
Challenges of screen time
- Peer pressure from friends to stay online and the way certain platforms are developed to encourage users to stay on as long as possible can make it harder for children to switch off.
- As children get more active online there is an increased risk that they might stumble across inappropriate content that may have a negative impact on their digital wellbeing.
- Passive screen time (i.e bingeing on box sets) could have a physical effect on their development (i.e. eyes, brain), sleep cycle and behaviour.
- Nearly half of parents in the UK are worried their children are spending too much time online – with the majority believing it is causing their kids to lead a sedentary lifestyle lacking in physical exercise.