What is Disney Plus?
Disney Plus is a subscription-based streaming service launched in the UK and Ireland in March 2020 and has been a hit with families. It is designed to stream video content from Disney and includes TV and film from Pixar, Marvel, Star Wars, National Geographic and Star.
While users can find Disney classics like The Little Mermaid and Frozen, Disney Plus regularly releases new films and series as well. Some content is suitable for all ages but it’s not all appropriate for children. As a result, Disney has added parental controls that you can use to keep your child safe.
How it works
Users can sign up for an account for £7.99 per month or £79.90 per year and can create up to 7 different profiles. Parents can set up kid profiles for their children so they only have access to content suitable for all ages, or they can set content levels for older children.
Disney Plus has different sections to the app:
- Home: suggested content based on prior viewing or popular and new content
- Disney: content from Disney Animation Studios, including popular films like Encanto and Frozen along with classics
- Pixar: series and films created with Pixar like Finding Nemo and Toy Story
- Marvel: includes live action and animated content created by Marvel comics. Some of this content may be inappropriate for children under 18.
- Star Wars: popular series and films from the Star Wars franchise
- National Geographic: series, films and documentaries about a variety of topics. Parental guidance may be suggested for some of the content.
- Star: films and series generally meant for older audiences
GroupWatch allows subscribers to watch the same thing at the same time even if they are not in the same place.
Disney Plus parental controls
When Disney’s streaming service first came out, all content was generally safe for kids. However, now that they have expanded their content offering, Disney Plus has developed parental controls to limit what your child can watch.
This can be done by creating a kid’s profile, setting age restrictions per profile and by setting a pin on profiles. These settings can be accessed on the profile start page either when creating a new profile or by selecting ‘Edit Profiles’. See our detailed step-by-step guide for more information.
Benefits of Disney Plus
- Plenty of kid- and family-friendly content
- Parental controls that let you set different age restrictions for different children
- Kid profiles for an easier user-interface for younger children to use
- A variety of series and films beyond Disney
- Regularly new content as well as old favourites
What to watch out for
While the parental controls on Disney Plus are perfect for restricting the type of content your child can see, there are no further parental controls. Monitoring how much time they spend watching content may be important to encourage a balanced digital diet.
If children do not have parental controls set, they may think that more mature content is also child-friendly because it’s associated with Disney. It’s important to have conversations about what your child sees online and why it may not be appropriate.