Although social media can expose children to digital challenges, it can also be a great tool to help them build a positive digital footprint that will serve them for years to come. In this article, we’ve identified five ways you can make social media work for your child.
What are the positive aspects of social media?
Building positive digital footprints
- It can be a great way to express themselves and share talents, achievements and with others and find opportunities to pursue their passions. See our online reputation guide for ways to help them manage a good digital footprint
- It removes boundaries for children who may not be able to see friends and family face-to-face and offer them to tap into a community they can seek support from on issues that matter to them
Staying connected with people they care for
- It can help maintain and strengthen relationships with friends and family
Finding their tribe
- For children with niche passions or seeking support on specific issues, they are able to find groups who they can relate to and feel less isolated
Becoming an influencer
- Social can inspire children to be a force for good and encourage others to take up a cause to do the same to generate positive change in the real world
Sharing tips with children
Encourage children to visit the Facebook Youth portal to help them think about ways they can use their interaction on social media for good.