While screen time is a neutral term, neither positive nor negative, online activities aren’t created equally. Here are a few pointers to help you understand if your child’s is helping their development:
- Ask yourself – is this activity helping my child achieve a goal, improve their development in a certain area, promote their sense of self, or build-up skills that will help them make smart choices as they grow?
- Look at where they’re using their devices – they should be out and in family areas, not in bedrooms where they can impact sleep
- Model the behaviour that you’d like to see in them – children tend to do what you do, not necessarily what you say
- 对于年幼的孩子，重要的是谈论他们开始使用互联网后可能会遇到的在线问题。 使用针对孩子的故事，应用或视频可以激发对话。
- 随着孩子的长大，重要的是要不断与他们核对他们在网上所做的事情。 年龄较大的青少年倾向于感觉到他们在放映时间上拥有正确的平衡，但是谈论放映时间的物理影响可能会帮助他们更好地自我调节放映时间，以充分利用放映时间。
As well as this make sure that you take the time to unplug from tech as a family to encourage them to have a balanced view of using tech. Apps like Forest which build beautiful forests the longer you stay off devices can be useful.
You can also find apps, site, and games together, with a focus on giving your child the space to explore their passions, enhance their skills and discover their identity in a safe way.