What are some social media influencer safety tips?
Kids nowadays have being an influencer top in their list of professions they want to be. All they need is a social media account, and although most social media platforms have an age limit of 13+, YouTube has been the go-to place for those under this age.
It is normal for kids to look up to a popular influencer or idol of theirs, however, it is always essential to keep an eye on who they watch, the content they watch, and how often.
If your child watches an influencer:
- Are the influencers age-appropriate? Get to know which influencers your children are watching. You can simply watch a few of their videos, check out their social media, and perform a google search to see who they are. The Common Sense Media provide YouTube channel review will give you a quick view of what you need to look out for
- Set ground rules to help them choose appropriate content to watch. You can use our accordo familiare per iniziare
- Make use of parental control features to help reduce associated online risks. See our parental control how-to guides
- Consider setting up a family account, such as Google Family Link
- Use child-friendly apps and platforms, such as YouTube Kids
- For younger children, create playlists of age-appropriate videos that they’ll enjoy based on their interests
- Encourage them to think critically about what they see online. While – they may believe everything that their favourite influencer is saying is true it’s important to encourage them to check the information out with other sources and help them differentiate between what is fact and opinion. See our Guida in linea al pensiero critico per ulteriori suggerimenti
A cosa prestare attenzione: Influencers tend to use their channels to highlight endorsements or sponsorship deals which means that children may be encouraged to purchase items that they are promoting from a range of brands.
Whether it’s toys, make-up, games, or clothing it’s important to have a conversation with children who may be swayed or under pressure to buy that these recommendations are no different than watching an ad on TV. So, it’s best to do your own research before buying them.
If your child aspires to be an influencer, there are a few things to think about. What is an appropriate age to start, what platforms to use, and how you can keep them safe. Our expert Dr. Tamasine Preece provides all the tips you need to think about in this article: Mio figlio vuole diventare un vlogger, è sicuro?